- Snow Leopard Encounter in Nepal Himalayas
- Massif Annapurna Mountains range with some of the world highest Mountains, Mt. Dhaulagiri (8,160 m), Mt. Manaslu (8,156 m) Mt. Annapurna (8,091 m).
- Enjoy the accompaniment of an expert in wildlife throughout the event.
- Trekking Excursions
- Ancient monuments and monasteries
- A complimentary meal with traditional Nepalese cuisine is a cultural live show.
- Trip Profile : Snow-leopard-Encounter-Tour-13-Days
- Trip Type : Trek & Wildlife Tour
- Trip Duration : 13 Days
- Trip Route : Kathmandu- Besi Shahar, Chame, Manang
- Trek Accomodation : Lodge - Hotel & Camping
- Preferred Seasons : November- December- January & February
- Transportation: 4WD Jeep & Private Car
- Age Limit : No limits
Snow Leopard Encounter in Nepal
The Snow leopards are the large cats inhabiting mostly in the mountains of central and south Asia. They are distributed in mountains of countries like Siberia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikstan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia, and Tibet. Only an estimated 3500 – 7000 Snow Leopards inhabit in the wilds while 600 -700 remain in captivity in zoos around the world. They are listed as vulnerable by IUCN because of habitat destruction, global warming, and poaching. They reside in alpine and sub-alpine zones. Hence they are mostly found at an elevation of 3000 – 4500 m (9800 – 14800 ft).
Snow Leopard Encounter in Nepal is possible in the northern frontiers of Nepal. The mountain protected areas of Nepal namely Annapurna Conservation Area, Shey Phuksundo National Park, Kangchenjunga Conservation Area, Manaslu Conservation Area, Makalu Varun National Park, Sagarmatha National park, Api Nampa Conservation Area and Langtang National park are the habitat for these Himalayan cats in Nepal. There are an estimated 350 – 500 snow leopards in Nepal.
Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel
See for yourself if all that you have read and watched on the internet, about the tranquil beauty of Nepal and warm hospitality of Nepalese. After flying through the beautiful view of this trekkers; paradise, you will meet our company representative at the airport. You must have an impatient heart for a breathtaking adventure. Get ready to experience Nepal up close and personal. But first, we will transfer you to your hotel.
If you have an early arrival, you may stroll around the hippest and happening area in Thamel, where you can find restaurants with varieties of cuisine to dine. This first night in the country, you will be staying in Kathmandu.
Sightseeing to major historical places in Kathmandu Valley and preparation day
On your second day, you can go for sightseeing to some of the famous religious and historical sites of Kathmandu. After exploring this a city of temples; you will meet your tour guide at the hotel. You will be briefed in detail about the wildlife adventure. The guide will also assist you for any last-minute shopping that you require for the safari.
Have a well-rested night at Kathmandu before heading off to the wildlife.
(You can dump the stuff you do not want during the trek at the hotel or our office store.)
Drive from Kathmandu to Besi Shahar - 830 m
After a good morning meal you will be traveling to Besisahar, the entry point of Annapurna Circuit Trekking. A private van will be waiting for you at the hotel parking hop on and get ready to ride. Once you leave Kathmandu Valley through the check post at Nagdhunga, the ride will be exciting. The road might be bumpy with lots of twists and turns.
However, the eagerness for adventure and the views of the hills, forests and terraced farmlands will make it a noteworthy experience. Pulling over occasionally for tea/coffee, snacks and toilet break you will drive through Dhading, Chitwan, Tanahu districts to reach Lamjung. 6-7 hours of this fun-filled ride will take you to Besisahar. You can spend the rest of the evening taking rest and preparing for the next day.
Dirve from Besi Shahar to Chame - 2725 m
Wake up early in the morning, enjoy the breakfast at the lodge and resume the ride to Chame. Today you will drive for 7-8 hours on Besisahar -Chame Highway along Marsyangdi River. Following the river, the road will lead you through Upper Marsyandhi Hydropower Project to Bhulbhule (820 m). If the weather favors then you can get your first glance of the mountains from Bhulbhule. The glimpse of Ngadi Chuli (7,871 m) Himal Chuli North (7,331 m) and Himal Chuli (7,893 m) will definitely entice you for more. Ride through Bahundanda stopping over at Chamche waterfall for some clicks.
Ride through the stone entrance at Dharapani (1,810 m) to beautiful villages and serene forests of pine and oak. Along with the miraculous views of Mt. Manaslu, Lamjung Himal and Annapurna II where the Himalayan Cats live. On the way, you will see the long wall with prayer wheels at Danakyu (2,220 m). Riding through the village of Timang (2,620 m), Thanchok (2,660 m) and Koto (2,660 m) you will reach Chame.
Drive from Chame to Manang - 3,500 m /Rest day
On this day you will ride to Manang which will take 2-3 hours. This day in Manang is perfect to wear off your travel exhaustion and prepare for the trek. While at Manang, you can spend your day exploring the village of Manang and experience their unique culture and lifestyle. Gurungs and Ghales are the inhabitants of Manang. These people depend on tourism and agriculture for their livelihood. However, the cold climate limits them to cultivate only wheat, barley, buckwheat, potatoes, and beans.
If you want to spend the rest day without doing much walking then there are places like Manang Cultural Museum, Bodzo Gumba, and cafes with better food options and internet.
Trek and track Snow leopard
After Pisang, we have alternate paths at north and south of the Marsyangdi River that meet up again at Mungji. The southern route by Hongde, with its airstrip, at 3325m involves less climbing than the northern route via Ghyaru, despite the fact that there are better views on the trail that follows the northern bank of the river. From Mungji, the trail continues past the quaint but partially hidden village of Bryanga at 3475m to nearby Manang at 3500m.
Walking along the valley through the drier upper part of Manang (the unofficial trekking capital of the Annapurna Circuit) we can view Annapurna range. People of this area herd yaks and raise crops for leaving, besides this during winter they move to other places for trades.
Drive back to Besi Shahar
After the completion of our trip of Encountering Snow Leopard, we will return back to Besisahar by private 4WD Jeep.
Drive back to Kathmandu
After this wonderful trip, you will drive back to Kathmandu from Besisahar
Once you reach Kathmandu you will check-in at a nice hotel around the Thamel area. At the evening you can stroll around for souvenir shopping, drinks, and dinner. Walking around Thamel and nearby areas for shopping and self-exploring the narrow streets of this tourist hub is a good idea to spend your evening in Kathmandu.
We will drop you to the airport according to your flight schedule. Tiger Encounter hopes to take you to another exciting wildlife safari in Nepal soon.
- All airports pick up and transfer to hotel.
- Private transportation cost, including Kathmandu to Besisahar, Besisahar to Chame and Chame to Manang by road and same for returning.
- 3 nights in Kathmandu (4-star category hotel) with B&B Plan
- 2-night accommodation in Besisahar, 1-night accommodation in Chame and 6 night in Manage with 3 meals a day (normal nice hotel)
- 3 meals a day during the trekking (Tea, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) as mention in the itinerary.
Accommodation while trekking in twin sharing basis in guesthouses.
- All snow leopard tracking activities expenses
- All program as mentioned in the itinerary
- Insurance for Nepalese staff. (Guide and driver)
- Guide and porter fares and taxes. Government Tax and office service charge.
- Annapurna conservation area permit and TIMS card.
- All the necessary permits
- Guide’s allowance and salary
- Emergency Medical Kits
- Welcome or Farewell Cultural Dinner in Kathmandu
- International airfare to/ from Nepal.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu, and Besi Shahar.
- Insurance which covers, medical, emergency evacuation, lost, etc.
- Beverages, alcoholic drinks, mineral water, boiled water during the trekking.
- Hot shower during the trekking.
- All food and beverages are other than on the itinerary.
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, and early return from the mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary.
- Personal gear and expenses.
- Tips and gratitude provided to staff.
Description of the Location
Manang is located in the Himalayan region of the Western part of Nepal where the snow leopard encounter is done. To reach there you should travel from Kathmandu to Besisahar to Chame to Manang in 3 days with 6 to 8 hours a day.
Just Fill and Book
This is a pre-booking form for the lead traveler. We would send you the actual booking form after the confirmation
Frequently asked questions
- How many years does a snow leopard live?Snow leopards normally live for 15 – 18 years in the wild but can live up to 25 years in zoos.
- What are the countries, where snow leopards are found?Snow leopards are found across 12 countries in Central Asia. They are Nepal, Afghanistan, Bhutan, China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- What do we do if we cannot see snow leopard in whole day?We generally have more than two days just for snow leopard tracking. If we don’t see any leopards in first day then we will move to another leopard area in next day. Similarly our days can be increased this way until we finally see snow leopard.
- How rare are Snow Leopards?Approximately 3,500 to 7,000 snow leopards are left in the wild, with 600-700 in zoos around the world, very rare in most of their range.
- What is another word for a Snow Leopard?Alternate Snow Leopard Synonyms: ounce ; Panthera uncia ; big cat ; cat.
- Does pollution affect Snow Leopards?Climate change can affect snow leopards, If greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase steadily, the treeline shift may cause 30 percent of the snow leopard habitat in those mountains to be lost.
What your client say about us.
Thank you Tiger Encounter team for another great experience in beautiful Nepal. We had amazing memories in Mt. Everest & Chitwan! We did wildlife safari, jeep safari, bird watching, village tour & cultural program. You are super professional, knowledgeable. Strongly recommend.
“Fantastic from beginning to end”Samuel Olusola,USA
We went on a wildlife safari tour operated by Tiger Encounter last May 2019. It was a great experience for the whole family our kids were very excited to see animals out in the wild.
“Best way to experience Nepalese wildlife”D'cruz Shabri,India
Walking along with the wild that shelters varieties of birds and animals felt amazing. Very organized and fun wildlife tour.
“Came close to the nature during the wilderness walk”Jyoti- T,India
Tiger Encounter made our tiger encounter possible. On tiger tracking day two we saw the beautiful beast come out to drink it has an incredible experience. Waiting for almost two days on the blazing heat of May was really worth it!!
“Can’t believe I actually watched them be”Alfonso Leslie,UK
Similar Locations We Service
Tiger Encounter in Bardia National Park
Come across the magnificent Royal Bengal Tigers, and watch them live their untamed lives. Experience this immense quest in the wilderness of the most undisturbed protected area in Nepal.
- 07 Days
- 06 Nights
Wildlife Safari in Nepal
Discover the wilderness of Nepal while promoting innovative conservation strategies.
- 9 Days
- 8 Nights
Tiger Encounter in Chitwan National Park
Explore the wilderness of Chitwan National Park to visit Royal Bengal Tigers, one horned rhinos and many other animals and birds in their natural residence.
- 07 Days
- 06 Nights