- A special encounter with the Red Panda
- Walk in the wilderness
- Experiencing a rural village of Nepal
- Landscape view of the garden of tea
- Mountain View Flight to Bhadrapur from Kathmandu
- Special bird watching
- Explore Ilam Bazaar
- Trip Profile : 9 night/ 10 Days red panda tour
- Trip Type : Wildlife & Tour
- Trip Duration : 10 Days
- Trip Route : Kathmandu- Bhadrapur - Ilam - Dobate
- Trek Accomodation : Lodge and tea house
- Preferred Seasons : March-May and October - November
- Transportation: Flight, Drive
- Age Limit : No limits
Red Panda Tour in Nepal
Red Panda is found in the most part Himalayas of South Asia. From Eastern Himalayas to Southwestern China its native area ranges around the Himalayas only. Like the giant panda, it is also mostly herbivorous mammal that feeds mainly on bamboo. The red panda has reddish-brown fur, a long, shaggy tail, and a waddling gait due to its shorter front legs. It is only slightly larger than the size of a domestic cat, though with a longer body and somewhat heavier. Growing from 50-65cm in length and weighing up to 6kg.
Red Panda Tour in Nepal, itinerary focuses on Dobate Village of Ilam district for seeing the lesser panda. Red Pandas are skillful climbers that spend most of their time in the trees curled up with their long, bushy tails wrapped around their heads. Their thick reddish-brown fur offers additional protection from the cold, often harsh, mountain weather. We’ll give you a guide while you’re on this itinerary. You can also experience the day to day activities of the typical rural village of Ilam district of Nepal.
Red Panda Habitat
Living in 36 different mountain districts, there are around 1000 red pandas in Nepal. It is one of the most endangered species in the country as well as the whole world. The majority of the red pandas of Nepal are protected inside the national park. Also, there are some communities of red pandas in Eastern Nepal in the districts like Ilam, Panchthar, and Taplejung where there are not any national parks or wildlife reserves yet is home to one-fourth of pandas. There are some non-profit organizations that are working to save the pandas of this region.
The Red Panda Community and Red Panda Network are the organizations that are working from 2007 to spread awareness among local people and actions to protect the various endangered species through their habitat management, sustainable livelihood and awareness building.
Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel
See for yourself if all that you have read and watched on the internet, about the tranquil beauty of Nepal and the warm hospitality of Nepalese. After flying through the beautiful view of this trekkers; paradise, you will meet our company representative at the airport. You must have an impatient heart for a breathtaking adventure. Get ready to experience Nepal up close and personal. But first, we will transfer you to your hotel.
If you have an early arrival, you may stroll around the hippest and happening area in Thamel, where you can find restaurants with varieties of cuisine to dine. This first night in the country, you will be staying in Kathmandu.
Sightseeing to major historical places in Kathmandu Valley and preparation day
On your second day, you can go for sightseeing to some of the famous religious and historical sites of Kathmandu. After exploring this a city of temples; you will meet your tour guide at the hotel. You will be briefed in detail about the wildlife adventure. The guide will also assist you for any last-minute shopping that you require for the safari.
Have a well-rested night at Kathmandu before heading off to the wildlife.
(You can dump the stuff you do not want during the trek at the hotel or our office store.)
Flight to Bhadrapur and drive to Ilam Bazar
Morning flight to Bhadrapur. Bhadrapur is one of the most beautiful flights in Nepal. If you are lucky enough then you can see 7 mountains over 8000m on a clear sky day including Mt. Everest. After arrival in Bhadrapur, you will be transferred to Ilam by road for about 3 to 4 hours.
Once you reach Ilam, you can enjoy the scenic beauty of that place. One of the most beautiful places of Nepal, you can enjoy the landscape of tea plantation covered hills in most parts of the place. We will stay overnight in a lodge here in Nepal's tea capital.
Drive to Dobate from Ilam Bazar
Today we will head toward the village of Dobate in the northern part of Ilam. The protected forest of Dobato is in Ilam, at the foot of the Himalayan Mountains. This location has a powerful hold for Red Pandas. We will travel along with our red panda tracking guide. You can get the opportunity to enjoy the actual rural village of Nepal. The road is sometimes uneven, but it is all worth it when you reach Dobate and feel the actual beauty of a rural village and wonderful world of the Red Panda. Upon reaching the village, you will feel as if you had just been transported to paradise. Dobate has very few numbers of houses, some better looking than others and the area has a deserted look.
During our evening time, we will enjoy the surroundings and walk towards the lake located at an altitude of about 2700m.
Red Panda Tracking
Today we will start to track Red Pandas in the forest of Dobate. This place is a stronghold of Red Pandas and our tour focuses on tracking this cat-bear Himalayan raccoon in their natural habitat. In these 3 full days, you will hike around the rhododendron and oak forests in search of the firefox. This area is also famous for special birds like Fire-tailed Myzornis, Maroon-backed Accentor, Rufous-throated Wren Babbler, Slender-billed, Scimitar Babbler, Rusty-fronted Barwing, Rufous-capped Babbler and eight species of laughing-thrush, to name a few. Other mammals in this place include Clouded Leopards, Leopard cats, Himalayan Palm Civets.
Our guide will communicate with the Red Panda Network (RPN) office in Ilam and Taplejung to check to see if there are any suspicious activities taking place in the forest. The guide will move upfront and see which path we should follow and where can we locate red pandas. There is a very good chance of locating red pandas with our guide on our side. During the course of three days, we will repeat the same activity every day but on different paths and places. We can see red pandas sleeping and relaxing in branches of a tree or roaming around the jungle.
If we are unable to encounter red panda on our first day, we have another two days. There is a high chance of tracking red panda in this area so we can make sure that you will see red panda during these periods.
Drive back to Ilam Bazar
We will spend a few times in the morning seeing the beauty of the village. After morning breakfast and speding few times, we will return back to Ilam bazar. Reaching Ilam bazar we have to say goodbye to our guide who helped and remained with us constantly during our red panda tracking period.
Fly back to Kathmandu
After this wonderful trip, drive to Bhadrapur and fly to Kathmandu.
Once you reach Kathmandu you will check-in at a nice hotel around the Thamel area. In the evening you can stroll around for souvenir shopping, drinks, and dinner. Walking around Thamel and nearby areas for shopping and self-exploring the narrow streets of this tourist hub is a good idea to spend your evening in Kathmandu.
We will drop you to the airport according to your flight schedule. Tiger Encounter hopes to take you to another exciting wildlife safari in Nepal soon.
- International & domestic airport transfers as per the itinerary.
- Flight ticket from Kathmandu- Bhadrapur- Kathmandu
- Bhadrapur to Ilam bazar - Bhadrapur private transport
- Ilam bazar to Dobate private 4wd jeep
- 3 night’s hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on twin sharing basis on BB plan
- 2 night’s hotel accommodation in Illam on twin sharing basis on BB plan
- Accommodation and 3 meals a day during the trekking (Tea, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) as mention in the itinerary.
- Professional government license holder English speaking trekking guide.
- The required number of porters to carry the luggage during the trek (We assign one porter for every two guests).
- All program as mentioned in the itinerary
- Insurance for Nepalese staff. (Guide and driver)
- All government and local taxes.
- All the necessary permits
- Emergency Medical Kits
- Group welcome or farewell dinner
- International airfare to/ from Nepal.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu and Ilam
- Insurance which covers, medical, emergency evacuation, lost, etc.
- Beverages, alcoholic drinks, mineral water, boiled water during the red panda tour.
- Hot shower during the trekking.
- All food and beverages are other than on the itinerary.
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, and early return from the mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary.
- Personal gear and expenses.
- Tips and gratitude provided to staff.
Just Fill and Book
This is a pre-booking form for the lead traveler. We would send you the actual booking form after the confirmation
Frequently asked questions
- Can we feed Red Panda during the tour?You don’t know if red pandas are dangerous or not and may not have idea about its diet. It is better to take suggestions from the guide provided or better not to take risk.
- What is the difference between Panda and Red Panda?Panda and Red panda are completely different than each other. Although their name may be similar but they both belong to different families. (Red panda is only remaining living species of family Ailuridae whereas Panda belongs to bear family). They are different in sizes as well. Giant Panda is larger in size whereas Red Panda is the size of domestic cat. Their living habitat is also different.
- What do Red Pandas do during the day?Red pandas are not wake up a lot during the day, but mostly when the sun rises in the morning and when the sun sets in the dark. They eat grass, roots, fruit, cassava, birds and tiny insects, too.
- How long do Red Pandas live?Red Pandas can live 7 to 9 years. In a Zoo, they can live up to 14 Years.
- What is a female and male Red Pandas called?The female red panda is called the sow, the male is called the boar. Red panda babies are called cubs, and a group of red pandas is called a pack.
- What is the breeding season of Red Pandas?The breeding season is in the late fall through winter. The gestation period is about four months.
- What is the life cycle of a Red Panda?Approximately 130 days after mating with a male, a red panda gives birth to between 1-4 cubes in the summer. Before they are born, a female makes a nest in a hollow tree or a rock, lined with plants.
What your client say about us.
Thank you Tiger Encounter team for another great experience in beautiful Nepal. We had amazing memories in Mt. Everest & Chitwan! We did wildlife safari, jeep safari, bird watching, village tour & cultural program. You are super professional, knowledgeable. Strongly recommend.
“Fantastic from beginning to end”Samuel Olusola,USA
We went on a wildlife safari tour operated by Tiger Encounter last May 2019. It was a great experience for the whole family our kids were very excited to see animals out in the wild.
“Best way to experience Nepalese wildlife”D'cruz Shabri,India
Tiger Encounter made our tiger encounter possible. On tiger tracking day two we saw the beautiful beast come out to drink it has an incredible experience. Waiting for almost two days on the blazing heat of May was really worth it!!
“Can’t believe I actually watched them be”Alfonso Leslie,UK
Walking along with the wild that shelters varieties of birds and animals felt amazing. Very organized and fun wildlife tour.
“Came close to the nature during the wilderness walk”Jyoti- T,India
Similar Locations We Service
Tiger Encounter in Nepal
Come across the magnificent Royal Bengal Tigers, and watch them live their untamed lives. Experience this immense quest in the wilderness of the most undisturbed protected area in Nepal.
- 10 Days
- 9 Nights
Snow Leopard Encounter in Nepal
Snow leopards are found at altitudes between 9,800 and 17,000 feet in the high, rugged mountains of Central Nepal.
- 13 Days
- 12 Nights
Wildlife Safari in Nepal
Wildlife Safari in Nepal is Asia’s finest wildlife tours. This wildlife safari lets you encounter one-horned rhino, Bengal Tiger, Snow Leopards and other wild animals.
- 10 Days
- 9 Nights